TYA Pharmaceuticals was founded by Floridian Pharmacist Terry Yon. TYA develops and customizes solid and liquid medication doses for institutional pharmaceutical needs. These dozes are packaged in cups, syringes, foil pouches, punch cards and tablet strips.
Having a history of good R &D work, TYA works with customers to deliver precisely what they need. Their customers include correctional institutions, urgent and mental care facilities and MD dispensers. They work closely with any licensed healthcare provider.
As suggested, TYA provides individual medicine doses for institutional clients. They do this by purchasing bulk drugs and converting them to the desired dosage. They fill and complete orders within 48 hours of receiving them.
Below are some of their products for liquid dosages:
- Foil Pouches for Liquid Doses: These pouches are manufactured as an opaque light resistant material. It provides unit liquid dosage requirements in sizes between 31.0ml & 75.0ml. It also maximizes storage and streamlines dispensing of large doses. (25 bags per Package)
- Plastic Cups for Liquid Doses: These are used for smaller liquid dosage requirements. The plastic cup products can deliver the following dosages:
- Small cup sizes between 0.25ml up to 15.0ml.
- Large cup sizes between 15ml up to 30.0ml
The benefits of the plastic cup are easy storage on medication carts and quick, safe, client delivery.
Liquid Oral Syringes: These unit doses provide patient safety, accuracy and compliance.
Below are products associated with solid doses:
- Prescription and O.T.C. Bottled Solutions For Solid Medication: These come from a state of the art tablet/capsule bottling line. The line is used to package tablets/capsules in bottles of 30′s, 100′s, and 500’s. Other quantities are also available. All bottling needs are handled with absolute accuracy and guaranteed fast delivery.
- Tablet Strips for Solid Medication: Tablet packs are customized to configure into single row counts for easy dispensing. Tablets/Capsules are shipped in boxes of 100 (10X10) or rolls of 100 per box in strips.
- 30 Day Punch Cards for Solid Medication: These are paper and foil laminate cards that provide another versatile unit dose system. In order to comply with labeling requirements, medication information is printed on the paper side. The package is perforated to match a 30 day dose. Your pack can hold from one to thirty tablets.
- Perforated Blister Packs for Solid Medication: Perforated plastic material is thermoformed. It creates 32 blisters to a sheet (4 columns, 8 rows). Each individual blister can be separated from the others. Or you can take it apart in strips of up to 8 units in length. Stack blisters on top of one another for maximum storage.
Terry Yon took the advice of his mother. She suggested he become a pharmacist and he thought that was a good idea. After graduating from the University of Florida as a degreed pharmacist, the Tallahassee native got started. He spent time working with the Army—as a pharmacist at Fort Bragg. His next jobs were at the Florida Pharmacy Association and Unisys Corporation.
But he was really destined to be an entrepreneur.
Terry Yon: The Man Behind TYA Pharmaceuticals
Some might call it kismet. Some might call it destiny. Some might call it fate. But it was a fortuitous conversation with a former college classmate that sent Terry on an entrepreneurial quest. Though it also may have had something to do with his penchant for solving problems.
His friend worked for the Florida Department of Corrections (FDOC). He described a knotty problem occurring at that state agency. Inmates abused taking medications by storing them up for possible suicides. Medications past the expiration date were wasted. The prison also had a bloated pharmaceutical staff housed in the major prisons of the system. Terry went to work on a solution.
What he came up with was buying bulk drugs from FDA approved manufacturers. Then, he decided to repackage them into a variety of individual dosages (see above). This would make them easy to administer and keep track of.
FDOC- The First Client
With that, in 1998, the FDOC became the first client of the fledgling TYA Pharmaceuticals. The savings and other benefits of Terry’s innovations ended up improving the FDOC in many ways:
- Implemented a more efficient pharmaceutical management computer system
- Were able to close two pharmacies
- Saved over $1 million annually through the TYAs return policy
- Reduced pharmaceutical inventories and saved about $2 million per year
- Split expensive pills (Crestor, Lipitor, Zoloff) to save another $1.5 million
- Rapid delivery (usually one to two days)
The partnership was seen as a shining example of how the public-private sector could work together. This occurred at a time when such ventures were encouraged by then Governor Jeb Bush.
The partnership is so fruitful, that it continues to this day. As do the relationships of more than twenty clients in Florida and other states.
Terry also became immersed in the pharmaceutical legislative matters. He served as Assistant to the Executive Vice President of the Florida Pharmacy Association. As Drug Utilization Director he got exposed to statewide and national healthcare agencies: The Department of Health, the Agency of Health Care Administration, the Health Care Financing Administration and others.
Always having a knack for finding good people, Terry brought on Jerry Hill to TYA. Jerry is a Florida Registered Pharmacist and Consultant. His first exposure to TYA was as the Consultant Pharmacist of Record for FDOC Region IV. In fact, he first noted the deficiencies in the FDOC pharmacy system with the prior vendor.
When he retired he went to work for TYA. Working for TYA as a Consultant and Pharmacy Manager, he relocated the operation. He also developed the crucial policies and procedures needed to ensure state and federal law compliance. His 25 prior years of experience in the field makes him uniquely qualified in his role.
Terry Yon is a Tallahassee native who understands the ins and outs of Florida state government. His entrepreneurial expertise is matched by his pharmaceutical knowledge. As founder and DEO, Terry Yon, has been able to significantly grow TYA Pharmaceuticals. Terry Yon maintains a strong R & D focus in his firm.
Awesome design, congrats on the new site!!